slow down

I was thinking about the idea of slow living and what it actually means.
According to Authors Beth Meredith and Eric storm it is a lifestyle choice. Slow living means structuring your life around meaning and fulfillment. Similar to voluntary simplicity and down-shifting, it emphasizes a less-is-more approach, focusing on the quality of life.
There are a few words that are just blown-up for me: It’s a choice… structuring your life around meaning and fulfillment… it is VOLUNTARY… yes voluntary simplicity and the biggest thing for me LESS IS MORE.
This morning I was just thinking about a new exciting job that I will be doing for the next three weeks and my mental state that needs to be in tip-top shape in order to do this job to the best of my capabilities, but even my capabilities are mediocre and mediocrity is a word that I do not want to have in my vocabulary. So I was kind of chatting to the Lord and asking Him how I could amplify my work that it is not just something good but something amazing. First I felt the Lord clarifying to me that we as humans want our work to be acknowledged and noticed… ‘yes’, I thought. Then it was as if the Lord just said: ‘well skip that one, do your work as if no-one will ever see it except me. You are thinking about the salary that you will receive at the end of the job right? Skip that one too, do it as if you were on a missionary job just for Me where it is voluntary and out of choice without any money attached. Then most importantly rely fully on me for all the hours you will be working… that is how you supersize your work ethic.’
It is as if the Lord wants opposite of our thinking and that is what got me to the slow living concept. I realized that our society is so money orientated and seeking acknowledgement that we base our whole work ethic around it. Yes credit is needed in time but if we build our concept around doing our work for God our standard of work will be of an excellent standard and because we then don’t seek acknowledgment from men but from God we would not be offended if someone might criticize us. So I realized that slow living and work goes hand in hand… our work should also be out of a mind state that it is voluntary, a choice and that less is more and money is something common that gets printed every day.


1 TESSALONIANS 2:4  :our purpose is to please God, not people.

4 comments: